I'd really like to get at the bottom of this.    It does sound like the
behavior mentioned in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-5582
but should be long fixed.

One suspect log entry (be unrelated) I noticed is this recurring exception
in the manger logs :

ERROR [c.c.v.UserVmManagerImpl] (UserVm-ipfetch-3:ctx-d4c44c2b)
(logid:16dd70ad) Caught the Exception in VmIpFetchTask

Which I guess is caused by the use of an external DHCP so manager fails to
determine a running VM IP.    Which brings me to my next question.... how
is a VM marked for HA actually monitored ?