Hi, List:

Can someone please explain why a VM instance must be in stopped state when
updating its affinity group memberships?   This requirement is in “Feature
assumptions” section of the original 4.2 design document
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/FS+-+Affinity-Anti-affinity+groups).

My users either don’t understand or don’t care about affinity groups and I see
a large number of instances with sub-optimal host placement (from anti-host
affinity group point of view).  But it is too much trouble for me to coordinate
with so many users to shut them down in order to fix their host placement.
What bad things would happen if a running instance’s affinity group is changed?

Thanks,

Yiping