Hey Marc,
It is very interesting that you are going to pick this up for KVM. I am
working in a related issue for XenServer [1].
If you can confirm that KVM is able to live migrate local volumes to other
local storage or shared storage I could make the feature I am working on
available to KVM as well.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-10240

--
Rafael Weingärtner