From: Dag Sonstebo
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 9:47 AM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: number of cores

Andrija - not sure about your 3.4GHz cores - must a be a simplified lookup
somewhere making assumptions.

Eric - have just tried your scenario in my 4.11.2RC5 lab (admittedly with
VMware, not KVM) - and I can see my core allocation keeps going up, e.g. at the
moment it sits at 166% - 10 out of 6 cores used. However it doesn't stop me
starting new VMs (only using 30-40% CPU and memory).
Are you sure it's the core count preventing you from starting VMs? What do the
logs say? (Also keep in mind your system VMs are now using more resources that
before).

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue

On 19/11/2018, 17:15, "Eric Lee Green" <eric.lee.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

    On 11/19/18 03:56, Andrija Panic wrote:
    > Hi Ugo,
    >
    > Why would you want to do this, just curious ?
    >
    > I believe it's not possible, but anyway (at least with KVM, probably same
    > for other hypervisors) it doesn't even makes sense/use, since when
    > deploying a VM, ACS query host free/unused number of MHz (GHz), so it's
not
    > even relevant for ACS - number of cores in not relevant in ACS
calculations
    > during VM deployment.

    I think you are misunderstanding the question. I have 72 cores in my
    cluster. Each of my hosts has 24 cores. With 4.9.2, I can provision 10
    virtual machines, each of which is programmed with 8 cores, meaning 80
    cores total. They on average are using only 25% of the CPU available to
    them (they need to be able to burst) and my compute servers on average
    are only 40% CPU used so that is not a problem.

    When I tried upgrading to 4.11.1,  the dashboard showed a new value "#
    of CPU Cores" in red and showed that I had more cores provisioned for
    virtual machines than available in the cluster (80 versus 72 available).
    Cloudstack would not launch new virtual machines. I shut down two
    virtual machines, and now I can launch one, but not the second because I
    would need 80 cores total in my cluster. I cannot launch all 10 virtual
    machines because I would need 80 cores total. I know this because I
    tried it. I then used MySQL to tell Cloudstack that each of my hosts has
    48 cores (144 total), and suddenly I can launch all of my virtual machines.

    Is this a bug in 4.11.1? Or is this expected behavior? If expected
    behavior, is there a way to over-provision "total # of cores used" other
    than to go into MySQL and tell it that my hosts have more cores than
    they in fact have? (Note that my service offerings are limited to 8
    cores max, so there's no way to launch a single VM with more cores than
    exists on a physical host, since all my hosts have 24 cores).

dag.sonst...@shapeblue.com