Hi Melanie,

with KVM it works (but I'm not aware of Xen atm) - you set upper limits for
number of bytes per sec and IOs per seconds for both read and writes, on
Disk Offering (and Compute offering) by defining HyperVisor QoS values.

Example for manual play:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Virtualization_IO_Throttling

Cheers
Andrija