From: simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de<mailto:simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de>
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:users@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Creating Windows Server 2019 templates with cloudbase init
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 07:54:02 +0000

Hi,

we are using cloudplatform 4.11 which is based on cloudstack 4.10.

Regards

Simon Völker

Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft e.V.

Schloss Birlinghoven

53754 Sankt Augustin

Telefon: +49 2241 14-2311

E-mail:

<mailto:simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de>

simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de

<mailto:

<mailto:simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de>

simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de

Am 06.09.2019 um 15:34 schrieb Andrija Panic <

<mailto:andrija.pa...@gmail.com>

andrija.pa...@gmail.com

<mailto:

<mailto:andrija.pa...@gmail.com>

andrija.pa...@gmail.com

>>:

That sounds like something that was happening on ACS 4.8.

Which version are you running?

Andrija

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 at 14:50, <

<mailto:simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de>

simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de

<mailto:

<mailto:simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de>

simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de

>> wrote:

Hi,

I’ve checked that and found something peculiar: The password is retrieved

from the VPR if I do a password reset, reboot and reboot again. However,

upon first login with the password generated by the reset, Windows requires

a new password to be set. The password shows up in the passwords file on

the vpr, but isn’t replaced by password=saved, it simply disappears when

retrieved.

Regards

Simon Völker

Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft e.V.

Schloss Birlinghoven

53754 Sankt Augustin

Telefon: +49 2241 14-2311

E-mail:

<mailto:simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de>

simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de

<mailto:

<mailto:simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de>

simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de

><mailto:

<mailto:simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de>

simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de

<mailto:

<mailto:simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de>

simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de

Am 06.09.2019 um 11:23 schrieb Andrija Panic <

<mailto:andrija.pa...@gmail.com>

andrija.pa...@gmail.com

<mailto:

<mailto:andrija.pa...@gmail.com>

andrija.pa...@gmail.com

<mailto:

<mailto:andrija.pa...@gmail.com>

andrija.pa...@gmail.com

>>:

Hi Simon,

I assume that the cloudbased-init runs BEFORE the user has to set pass via

Windows, thus overwriting the pass that ACS has previously set?

Does rebooting the VM actually sets the new pass (from ACS), that was

generated previously? You can actually check inside the VR

/var/cache/cloud/password-<IP-ADDRESS-HERE> file - this file will contain

the actual pass if it has NOT been fetched by the VM - or if it says

"password=saved" - this means it was already fetched by the VM.

Andrija

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 at 10:47, <

<mailto:simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de>

simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de

<mailto:

<mailto:simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de>

simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de

><mailto:

<mailto:simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de>

simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de

<mailto:

<mailto:simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de>

simon.voel...@zv.fraunhofer.de

>>> wrote:

Hi,

I am currently doing a new batch of our templates. So far we’ve been using

Cloudbase-init for our Microsoft Server 2016 templates. Now with the 2019

version, instead of setting the password that cloudstack provides, the user

has to set a password on first startup. Does someone have experience with

Cloudbase-init and Windows Server 2019 or has faced the same issue?

--

Andrija Panić

--

Andrija Panić