Hi Hean,

I've never tried pNFS, but the problem is the same. If you want failover
and hyper scaling, then use Gluster or Ceph. Why would you use PNFS which
is used by almost nobody?
People use NFS because:

1. it's primitive
2. it's easy to manage
3. it supports migrations
4. if planned well (cluster-wide) you can limit fail domain.
5. it is rock solid If deployed properly (i had my NFS 600+ days of uptime).

If you want fault-tolerance, use Gluster, Ceph, or proprietary, don't
reinvent the wheel.

I don't use NFS because my goal is to limit the failure domain to a single
host, so I use local storage. Every server is packed with SSD RAID or NVME
RAID, for me offline migrations are just fine. A bunch of my users wants
fault tolerance, so they use pretty tiny Gluster (1TB).

You will never get great IOPS on any parallel, clustered FS or storage.
Want best performance - use NFS or local, want failover use Gluster (shared
mount point) or Ceph (natively supported).

--
Ivan