Not currently using the VMware integration, but it's on our road map.

The main reason for using Cloudstack for us was that it worked well with Linux KVM hosts without needing to purchase expensive add-ons or licenses. This allowed us to spin up our cluster rapidly using existing machines in our racks without having to get budget approvals and such. However, now that we have budget for an expansion of our internal cloud, managing the existing VMware hosts and their virtual machines using Cloudstack is a natural way to extend our on-premise cloud infrastructure to manage more of our infrastructure.

In short, the ability to manage deploying to both KVM and ESXi hosts is one reason to use Cloudstack rather than vCloud Director. They'll be separate zones, but with a common way of deploying virtual machines and managing virtual machines. That said, if we were a vSphere-only site, vCloud Director would be something I'd look at. Pricing might be an issue however -- Cloudstack is of course "free" (lol, not when you consider the time implementing it), while I have no idea what vCloud Director's pricing is. Our business is price sensitive, yours may be less so.