On 7/17/2017 4:51 AM, Lentes, Bernd wrote:

I'm asking myself if a DRBD configuration wouldn't be more redundant and high
available.
Is DRBD in conjuction with a database (MySQL or Postgres) possible ?

Have you seen https://github.com/ewwhite/zfs-ha/wiki ? -- I recently deployed one and so far it's working better than one centos 7 drbd + pacemaker + nfs cluster I have. Although in 20-20 hindsight I wonder if I should've gone BSD instead.

If your database is postgres, streaming replication in 9.latest is something to consider. I haven't had any problems running it on top of drbd, but there are advantages to having two completely independent copies of everything. Esp. if it's on top of zfs's advantages.

We already "upgraded" our webserver postgres to streaming replication, in the next month or so I plan to bump it to 9.latest from postgres repo, run two independent instances, ditch drbd altogether and use pacemaker only for floating ip. (And zfs insremental snapshots to replicate static content.)

In that scenario freebsd's carp looks like much leaner and cleaner alternative to the whole linux ha stack and with zfs in the kernel and absence of systemd... the grass on the other side looks greener and greener every day.

Dima