In the meantime, I thought I'd try running the fence_vmware_soap command, but
it doesn't seem to be working, despite me using the same credentials that
worked with the external/vcenter plugin.  Is there a way to get more debugging
information about why it says unable to connect/login?  The error is thrown
immediately:

# fence_vmware_soap --ip <vSphere IP> --username <my_user> --password
'<my_password>' --ssl --action list
Unable to connect/login to fencing device