I had to tune the fence_ipmi recently on some older HPE blades. The default
settings were working, but also returning some output about problems
negotiating the cypher.As that output could make future version of the fence
agent go wild, I tested several options untill no errors are reported. Maybe
the cypher flag was different, but I think it was '-c'. If I'm wrong , the
author of this thread can check the man page .
Yes -> 'HandlePowerKey=ignore' . I have never expected ipmi to try graceful
shutdown when I tell it to 'press and hold' or 'cold boot', yet I never checked
the code of fence_ipmi.

With triple sbd , I mean sbd with 3 block devices.
Best Regards,Strahil Nikolov

  On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 23:15, Reid Wahl<nw...@redhat.com> wrote:

On Saturday, March 27, 2021, Strahil Nikolov <hunter86...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> My notes:
> - ilo ssh fence mechanism is crappy due to ilo itself, try to avoid if
> possible

It has been unreliable in my experience.

> - fence_ipmi requires some tunings (-c flag) and also to disable power button
> from the system

I've rarely, perhaps never, seen a customer have to tune the -c flag.

By disabling the power button, do you mean setting HandlePowerKey=ignore in
logind.conf? That's not specific to fence_ipmilan, to be clear.

> - triple 'sbd' is quite reliable.My previous company was using 'softdog'
> kernel module for a watchdog device and it never failed us. Yet, it's just a
> kernel module (no hardware required) and thus RH do not support such setup.

What do you mean by triple sbd? Correct that RH doesn't support using softdog
as an sbd watchdog device. It was determined that it's not reliable in all
situations. It's probably fine much of the time, and I'm glad you had a smooth
experience with it.

> On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 22:15, Reid Wahl
> <nw...@redhat.com> wrote:

Regards,

Reid Wahl, RHCA
Senior Software Maintenance Engineer, Red Hat
CEE - Platform Support Delivery - ClusterHA