> yup but it doesn't work on non IE browser (or used to)
>
> I tried this and it crashed my Netscape (although it was a copple of years
> ago).

If your browser does not handle the application/msword content-type, it
should prompt you to save the file.  If this crashes your browser you have a
buggy browser.  What is also nice about this approach is that the Office
HTML file will look reasonable when shown as HTML, which is nice for users
that don't have MSWord.

cheers,
-steve