What I'd like is to tell Cocoon or Tomcat in some config file that I want each Session instance I create to automatically (by default) have a timeout of 4 hours.

I use request.getSession(true); in dozens of places throughout my application, and I don't want to have to configure the session each time, if a session is being created for the first time. This isn't good design, since the rule "sessions should time out in 4 hours" in scattered all over in dozens of places. I also don't know for which pages a new session will need to be created, since I can't count on people always entering through the homepage.

Thanks,

Sonny