From: Joerg Heinicke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

It's not the XSPs that are inflexible, it's the generator contract / interface - and this can't be that flexible:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon-2.1/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/generation/Generator.java?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Yeah, sorry, I misspoke.

Of course you can start a discussion on dev list about this. IMO ProcessingException *is* the way to go - technically and logically. With your generator you process something. If an error occurs this processing is stopped, independent on the root cause (SQL or business exception).

I suppose I can live with it, even though it's a bit of a hassle.

Joerg

Technically that would work, but I really can't and don't want do that. For example, I might want to throw a SQLException for some reason, or another application specific-exception. For the latter I guess one could extend ProcessingException, but somehow that doesn't seem like a nice thing to do just because XSPs are inflexible.

From: Joerg Heinicke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

What about extending ProcessingException?

Joerg