One of the major implementaiton complaints I have about Cocoon is its lack
of Log4J logging functionality. Log4j, is without a doubt the best logging
package for java. No other package can even hope to compare to it. If Cocoon
was built to use Log4j instead of the avalon logging mechanism, it would
gain an enormous amount of functionality that it lacks now.

Personally, when working in a production environment, I dont want my log
files to be put into direcroies in my web app. Id rather have them forwarded
to a central log accumulation server or even sent out via JMS. Log4j allows
this and many more configurations. Furthermore, it allows you to turn on and
off logging on individual components with ease. Finally, Log4J is used in so
many other products that it is a recognized standard logging mechanism that
many organizations and even network engineers are quite familiar with.

Therefore, I think Cocoon should migrate to Log4j. In order to contemplate
this, its important that we discuss the complexities of it in the following
quesitons.

1) Why has this not already been done? Is it a question of a lack of
manpower or expertise? If so then I as well as others would most likely be
happy to volunteer time to accomplish it.

2) How difficult is it to rip out the avalon logging from the cocoon core
components? Im no avalon expert so I couldnt answer this myself.

3) Is there standard expressions that can be used for locatting logging
lines in cocoon?

4) Do we upgrade some of the blocks or leave them as is and only upgrade
core cocoon?

I would be interested in comments and opinions.

-- Robert