Very good idea, but not yet the solution. When I switch to "caching",
ThreadIdentifyingTransformer.class prints both thread-id's directly at the beginning
instead of printing the second one at the end, which was the behaviour with
profile-caching. This seems to be a good sign. However, the output on the screen
starts to appear if the transformation is finished completely.
Even if I remove all transformations having only a generator and a html serializer, it
does not stream. Maybe it is the serializer?
Its configuration is

      <map:serializer logger="sitemap.serializer.html" mime-type="text/html"
name="html" pool-grow="4" pool-max="32" pool-min="4"
src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.HTMLSerializer">
        <buffer-size>1024</buffer-size>

The buffer size seems appropriate. The testfile itself is HUGE.

Regards, Hauke Ernst