Geoff,

I didn't mean to hurt anybody with my statement, but I find it quite difficult to
accept your answer. Here's why. I've
been using Cocoon in a corporate environment (msdw, london) since it's 1.8 release,
and back then we successfully
implemented a couple of applications based on frameworks such as cocoon, struts,
castor, etc.

I do realize (more than I should have to ... ;-)) that this is an open source project
and that documentation will never
be complete. I remember problems with xsp logicsheets back in the 1.8.1 days that one
could resolve by looking at
the logicsheets themselves. But the crucial point here is that with those problems,
one was looking at something very
specific. A (complete) list of blocks in the 2.1.1 release imho is something very
basic.

Let's imagine I'd still be working for msdw (which I am not). I've read about the new
features of Cocoon 2.1, and I am
about to make the case (towards management) to invest some time and money to
investigate an upgrade to e.g.
2.1.1. Please bear in mind that with big corporations like these, investigating
software in a case where an older
release works is (generally) considered to be 'unproductive' time. I never shared
these thoughts, but this is about a
working environment and its policies and its pressure.

I just downloaded 2.1.1 for the first time, as I am preparing myself for the odd
lecture in a couple of weeks. Starting at
the installation documentation, I am very pleased to find some basic information about
blocks and how this can be
used to configure and deploy a custom-built version of Cocoon. But that's exactly
where the problem for me (and
most of big commercial companies that these days actively consider to use Cocoon in
the future) starts. There is a
new mechanism that for the first time allows to customize the way that Cocoon is
deployed, but the information
required to make installation decisions in a well-informed way is missing. I know that
CocoonWiki has some of this
information, but that's not the point. The point is that we are talking about the
installation of Cocoon, not some
hidden or not so obvious feature somewhere in a block or even the scratchpad.

I agree that looking at samples is a very good way to address problems/questions when
trying to find your way
around with special problems, block usage, etc., but nor for such a basic task as
installation and its customization.

Please do not get me wrong. I really dig Cocoon, I used it wherever possible in
corporate environments despite
varying pressure re: its complexity, lack of documentation (back then Cognacs didn't
exist), etc. But wanting to build
and install Cocoon, and not being able to find the relevant information re: blocks is
a bit hard.

One more thing: I'd love to contribute, and I will definitely do so. But I can only
contribute in areas where I am literate.
And I do not have any intentions to do so in areas that are not of my interest (e.g.
php, etc.) or where I lack the
knowledge. I don't think it would be very hard to develop a policy where a block
contributor/maintainer could make
a block available only if she provides enough information to facilitate the creation
of such a complete list. I think it
would be in their interest, and in everybody's interest who loves Cocoon for what is
it and strives to be.

Werner

PS Speaking of which, can somebody enlighten me as to why the CastorTransformer still
is part of the scratchpad
block. And what would it take to move it to its separate block ?