Ben Roberts wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I am struggling to get Cocoon running and am stuck. At the end of the install FAQs it suggests contacting this mailing list, I hope this is OK. The problem is when I go to localhost:8080/cocoon I just get "Servlet Cocoon2 is currently unavailable" with an HTTP 503 error.

This is what I have done so far:

I am using J2sdk1.4.2_01 and Tomcat 4.1.27 on Windows 2000.

I have set the CATALINA_HOME, CATALINA_BASE and JAVA_HOME environment variables.

I have created %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\endorsed and put the files xerces-XXX.jar, xalan-XXX.jar and from .\lib\core\ inside.

The standard endorsed dir you use above is overridden by default by the tomcat startup script. Thus, for tomcat you need to move the xerces and xalan jars to %TOMCAT_HOME\common\endorsed\. Nothing ever needs to be done with the jars from lib\core. Delete them from jre\lib\endorsed.

I'm curious - now that you know this can you go back and examine the install docs to see why this was not clear? This is by far the #1 FAQ and we've tried to make it very clear in the install docs. Either you found a doc that was missed, or found a reason it wasn't explained well, or just didn't read carefully (which is fine too. been there, done that.)

Any suggestion to avoid this problem in the future would be very appreciated.

I copied cocoon.war into tomcat\webapps and tomcat starts fine. Tomcat has unpacked it into a folder called coccon and in the tomcat manager cocoon demo is listed.

I have restarted Tomcat (and the computer!) a number of times and can't think of anything else to try, hence this plea for help. Lastly I can't see any logfiles created by Cocoon.

When no log files are created by Cocoon it means something went wrong early in its startup and you should go look in the container's logs (tomcat in this case).

Geoff