Just to inform I found out that my problem reported on the message below
was due to the paths.

I've defined Cocoon distribution dir (where I unpacked it) as the project
path in Eclipse and "/build/webapp" as the web application root. However,
in order to work, the project path should be set directly to the "/build"
subdir and so web application root becomes "/webapp". Now I'm able to
debug Cocoon.

Flavio Costa