Nick Smith wrote:

Thanks for your answers on this everyone!

Sounds like bottom line is - it can't be done at present. (unless he doesn't really need POST but can substitute GET).

Correcting myself: of course it can be done. It can't be done by configuring the current set of components available. A new component, or additional capability added to an existing component is needed.

Well, the need is still there, and its sufficient that I'm prepared to get my hands dirty with a bespoke component. Any pointers as to were I should start? I'm guessing I need to write a new generator, but HTTPGenerator doesn't seem to have access to the guts of the url request... any pointers in a general direction would be much appreciated!

OK, hold the phone. I looked into the org.apache.excalibur.source.impl.URLSource which is used for http:// sources and it _does_ have support for POST but I don't understand it!

/**
     * Initialize a new object from a <code>URL</code>.
     * @param parameters This is optional
     */
    public void init(URL url, Map parameters) throws IOException
    {
        String systemId = url.toExternalForm();
        setSystemId(systemId);
        setScheme(SourceUtil.getScheme(systemId));

        m_url = url;
        m_isPost = false;

if (null != parameters)
{
m_parameters = (SourceParameters) parameters.get(SourceResolver.URI_PARAMETERS);
final String method = (String) parameters.get(SourceResolver.METHOD);

            if ("POST".equalsIgnoreCase(method))
                m_isPost = true;
        }

Ok, so it looks like that has support for POST. But I don't think the HTML Generator takes advantage of it. How does one get the Map of paramenters to contain the value of SourceResolver(METHOD) for instance.
They are not the nested configs of the <map:generate...> call I don't think.

Geoff

Geoff