Anna:

> I need to transform a PDF file to XML (XHTML) format.
> I saw an example in Cocoon of doing the opposite, i.e.
> XML->PDF using XSL-FO.

There probably is a way to do this....but it's a bit involved.

There is a commercial software package available that will convert a PDF back
into a Word document.  I don't remember who sells it....ping me privately later
(when I am back in the office) and I'll tell you were to find it.  It's about
$50.

You could use this tool to get into Word .doc format, then use Word or
something similar to convert this .doc into RTF (older Word versions) or XML
(Office 2003)....then you have clear text that you can process into XHTML.

Ugly...and would take a while to put in place, but doable.

....Andrzej

Chaeron Corporation
http://www.chaeron.com