Yes, you cannot use tags inside java strings in this fashion.  When XSP
sees this tag, it tries to insert a whole block of code to output the tag
into the SAX output, which should give you a compilation error.

I'm actually not certain how it is you are able to pass the results of
esql:get-xml into a function call without getting compilation errors.  The
get-xml tag also turns into a whole block of code, not an expression which
can be passed to a function.  What version of Cocoon are you using?  In
C2.0.3, which I am using, you would be unable to do this, and you would be
unable to do substitutions inside the returned XML.  Instead, you'd have to
get the results using get-string, do your substitutions (using < in
place of <), then run the resulting String through an XML parser to get it
into the SAX stream.   (A good example of this is the code that implements
get-xml in the ESQL logicsheet, which is in your cocoon jar file.)

HTH.

-Christopher

|         |           Anders Forsgren  |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           rmers.com>       |
|         |           11/04/2003 04:31 |
|         |           users            |

  |       To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    |
  |       cc:
                          |
  |       Subject:  Re: XSP/ESQL escaping

      >Where and how is formatMessage() implemented? That is the code we
really

 >need to see, I think.

Thanks for your time

The formatMessage is implemented above the problem in the xsp logic
section, and it (currently) only does this  :

<xsp:logic>
public string formatMessage(String message)
{
     return instring.replaceAll("\n", "<br/>)
}
</xsp:logic>

the problem area in the xsp, like I said looks like this

column="body"/>)</xsp:expr></body>

The problem occurs when the xsp:expr contains tags (i.e. if I do the
replace "\n" ---> "foo" , then all is well, but "\n" ---> "<foo/>" will
not work. )

rgds

Anders