It occurs with a standard new seeded project, with no modifications apart from copying
Saxon.jar in WEB-INF/lib
By the way, this behaviour only happens with Forrest 0.6.5, but not with Cocoon 2.1.2
or 2.1.3.  It must be some Cocoon.xconf issue in Forrest distribution.

The following entry is commented out:

  <!--+
      | Saxon XSLT Processor
      | For old (6.5.2) Saxon use:
      |  <parameter name="transformer-factory"
value="com.icl.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl"/>
      | For new (7.x?) Saxon use:
      |  <parameter name="transformer-factory"
value="net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl"/>
  <component logger="core.xslt-processor"
             role="org.apache.excalibur.xml.xslt.XSLTProcessor/saxon"
             class="org.apache.excalibur.xml.xslt.XSLTProcessorImpl">
     <parameter name="use-store" value="false"/>
     <parameter name="transformer-factory"
value="com.icl.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl"/>
  </component>
  +-->

--------
David