I am not a Java expert!  My guess, it looks like an encoding problem,
perhaps due to your XML editor, or some oddity within the Cocoon pipeline.

I tried this in my environment (C2.1, Tomcat, using Eclipse+Sunbow for
coding) and it worked fine when I set the XSP source encoding to
iso-8859-1.  When I used UTF-8 encoding and the entity reference ç it
worked fine.  When I used UTF-8 encoding and put the ç directly in the
code, I got a Cocoon processing exception (java.io.UTFDataFormatException):
"Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte UTF-8 sequence".

So my guess is that the Sunbow editor saved the code wrong for the encoding
my XML is supposed to be using.  Probably your best bet is to change your
source file encoding to UTF-8, and use the entity reference.

-Christopher

|---------+------------------------------->
|         |           "Yves Vindevogel"   |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           lements.be>         |
|         |           12/04/2003 04:30 PM |
|         |           Please respond to   |
|         |           users               |

  |       To:       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    |
  |       cc:
                          |
  |       Subject:  FW: Escaping in XSP Logic

nobody ?