Is it possible to write a custom serializer that accepts sitemap parameters?

For example, if I had a serializer set to the type "mySerializer", I want to
do this in a sitemap:

<map:serializer type="mySerializer">
        <map:parameter name="someName" value="someValue"/>
<map:serializer>

I've tried to make my custom serializer class implement Parameterizable, and
the parameterize() method is called, but then when I try to get a parameter
using:

        parameters.getParameter( "someName" );

it throws a ParameterException which says:  "The parameter 'someName' does
not contain a value".

Help!

Thanks!

Andrzej Jan Taramina