We had a similar problem... We ended up using UTF-8 for everything; it
manifests itself in a couple of places.  Here's what we did - your mileage
may vary:

1. In your web.xml for your webapp, you'll want to set these params:

<init-param>
<param-name>container-encoding</param-name>
<param-value>ISO-8859-1</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>form-encoding</param-name>
<param-value>UTF-8</param-value>
</init-param>

You can find more information about that here:

    http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=RequestParameterEncoding

Then, in the sitemap, define your serializer with a specific encoding
(UTF-8):

<map:serializer name="html" mime-type="text/html"
src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.HTMLSerializer">
<encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
</map:serializer>

At that point, redeploy, and generate an XSP.  In your browser, look to see
what the character encoding is.  It should be UTF-8.  If it is not, and you
are still seeing the funny characters, change it to UTF-8 in your browser.
It should fix it.  At that point, you know that it is a problem configuring
your client browser.  There is more information at the link above on how to
force certain browsers to use your encoding using response headers.

If changing to UTF-8 manually does NOT help, then I'm not sure what the
problem is.

Hope that helps,
Collin