I have been wading through the Cocoon documentation but
have been unable to answer a question:

Can Cocoon (or modules of it) be easily used outside of a
servlet container?

I like the generator, transformer, serializer paradigm, but
from what I can tell, these pipelines are triggered via an
HTTP request.

Is it possible to define pipelines that are callable as
stand-alone components from one's own context/container, etc.?

If someone could reference and example or a pointer into
the documentation that discusses this I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks