[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Ok, what I know so far: I start off with XML without any such   codes.
These are added in the last XSL stylesheet. I've defined my own <!ENTITY
nbsp "&#160;"> (and raquo and copy as well). When I add a
SourceWriteTransformation that writes the output of this stylesheet to file
I notice that for each #160 character the binary code C2 A0 is added.

That's the UTF-8 encoding for the NBSP U+00A0. I don't see any problem here.

When I do a "save as" in IE of the page and examine the source code (I
cannot examine it directly for some reason or other) I notice the added
metatag encoding iso-8859-1.

That's the problem, or one of the problems (the other is the encoding in the HTTP headers). All you have to do is to track down where it comes from.

All these "special" codes (nbsp, raquo, copy)
are prefixed with the Acirc character (= #194 = xC2).
Also normal for a UTF-8 encoding. Note that characters in the Unicode range
U+0080..U+00FF are encoded as 2 bytes (I think the range is actually larger).

J.Pietschmann