On 29.01.2004 05:28, Guy Worthington wrote:

Ok, I get cocoon working, but I don't understand why the apps we had
working with cocoon 1 do not work when I drop them in /webapps ...
Tomcat gives me a "resource not available"...

Between Cocoon 1 and 2.1 really to much has changed to expect it simply working. Of course this depends on the complexity of your application. The most obvious change even for simple applications is the sitemap.

I share your frustration, I was able to publish with Cocoon 1.0 after
a weekend's light reading of McLaughlin's book "Java and XML."
I just had to write XML documents and stylesheets and then slot them
into the right directories.

However between versions 1.0 and 2.0 Cocoon went ENTERPRISE in a big
way.  And instead of a weekend's light reading there's now a shit-load
of documentation.  (For example, after around 15 hours of reading,
I've reached the dizzying heights of being able to publish a static
XML file to HTML.)

I never heard that we had to much documentation. :)

So I'd like to re-ask your question: has someone written a help file
on the sitemap configuration file, which is current, covers the theory
so that I'll be able to understand the architecture of Cocoon, and has
done so in less than ten thousand words?

Did you get the thing with the sitemap, the generator, transformer and serializer step?

Joerg