Hi Steve and Gautam,

you can try the following to see if your code works at all....   I did embed
the scripting and CSS in the stylesheet, because I wanted a quick solution
and hadn't any knowledge of how to use the sitemap.

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="1.0">
  <xsl:template match="/">
    <svg xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"; width="1000" heigth="120">
        <![CDATA[
          //////////////////////////////
          // Declare Global Variables //
          //////////////////////////////
          var SVGDoc = null

          // Make sure we're using the correct SVG object on the page
          //   - there can be more than 1 sourced element
          //
          function getObj(mouseEvent) {
                SVGDoc = mouseEvent.getTarget().getOwnerDocument()
          }

          ////////////////////////////////
          // SVG Manipulation Functions //
          ////////////////////////////////

          // change the fill color of an element
          function elemColor(mouseEvent, elemName, value) {
                // get the proper SVG object
                getObj(mouseEvent)

                // check for AI converted spaces
                elemName = spaceTrans(elemName)

                // get the element we want to change
                  var thisElem = SVGDoc.getElementById(elemName).getStyle()

                // perform the fill color change
                  thisElem.setProperty('fill', value)
          }

          // change the stroke width of an element
          function elemStrokeWidth(mouseEvent, elemName, value) {
                // get the proper SVG object
                getObj(mouseEvent)

                // check for AI converted spaces
                elemName = spaceTrans(elemName)

                // get the element we want to change
                var thisElem = SVGDoc.getElementById(elemName).getStyle()

                // perform the stroke width change
                thisElem.setProperty('stroke-width', value)
          }

          // change the stroke color of an element
          function elemStrokeColor(mouseEvent, elemName, value) {
                  // get the proper SVG object
                  getObj(mouseEvent)

                  // check for AI converted spaces
                  elemName = spaceTrans(elemName)

                  // get the element we want to change
                  var thisElem = SVGDoc.getElementById(elemName).getStyle()

                  // perform the stroke color change
                  thisElem.setProperty('stroke', value)
          }

          // show an element - note: these work with the display property,
not visibility
          function elemShow(mouseEvent, elemName) {
                  // get the proper SVG object
                  getObj(mouseEvent)

                  // check for AI converted spaces
                  elemName = spaceTrans(elemName)

                  // get the element we want to change
                  var thisElem = SVGDoc.getElementById(elemName).getStyle()

                  // make the element visible
                  thisElem.setProperty('display', 'inline')
          }

          // hide an element - note: these work with the display property,
not visibility
          function elemHide(mouseEvent, elemName) {
                  // get the proper SVG object
                  getObj(mouseEvent)

                  // check for AI converted spaces
                  elemName = spaceTrans(elemName)

                  // get the element we want to change
                  var thisElem = SVGDoc.getElementById(elemName).getStyle()

                  // hide the element
                  thisElem.setProperty('display', 'none')
          }

          // translate spaces into equivalent AI exported space string
          function spaceTrans(stringIn) {
                  var result = ""
                  for (var i = 0; i < stringIn.length; i++) {
                          if (stringIn.charAt(i) == " ") {
                                result += "_x0020_"
                          } else {
                                result += stringIn.charAt(i)
                          }
                  }
                  return result
          }

          ]]></script>

      <defs>
          path {
               fill: none;
               stroke: grey;
               stroke-opacity:0.8;
               stroke-width: 1;
          }
          line {
               fill:none;
               stroke:grey;
               stroke-opacity:0.8;
               stroke-width:1;
          }
          rect {
               fill:none;
               stroke:grey;
               stroke-opacity:0.8;
               stroke-width:1;
          }
          text {
               font-size:10;
               font-family:Verdana;
               text-anchor:right;
               fill:black;
               display:none;
          }

        ]]></style>
      </defs>

      <xsl:variable name="scalingfactor"><xsl:value-of
select="//scaling"/></xsl:variable>
      <g transform="scale({$scalingfactor} {$scalingfactor})">
        <g transform="translate(0,20)">
          <xsl:apply-templates/>
        </g>
      </g>