Anna,

You're better off using a DateFormat object to parse the request parameter instead of the deprecated new Date(String). Then you can catch a ParseException and take action based on this. You can instantiate a SimpleDateFormat object using a pattern matching the input you expect.

If the XSP is an action, you can use xsp-action:set-success and xsp-action:set-failure to communicate the result to the sitemap.

John

Anna Bikkina wrote:

Hi,

I have another question using XSP form validation. I used XSP-formval using the descriptor file and it worked.
Now there are some other validations that I have to do and display errors other than what I can do with the descriptor file. Like I have to check the startdate and enddate entered by user and display error if startdate is after the enddate and things like that. I created a xsp logic tag and did the necessary validations but I am getting error while running the xsp file

error is :
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to execute pipeline.: java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Exception in ServerPagesGenerator.generate(): java.lang.IllegalArgumentException

the xsp:logic paragraph that I add looks like this <xsp:logic>
if(notnew) {
System.out.println("entering into not new");
Date sd = new Date(request.getParameter("startdate"));
Date ed = new Date(request.getParameter("enddate"));
if(sd==null)
sd= new Date();
if(ed==null)
ed=new Date();
if(sd.after(new Date())){
System.out.println("Start date is greater than today");
<xsp:text>* Startdate invalid. Date greater than today</
xsp:text>
bad=true;
} else if(ed.after(new Date())){
<xsp:text>* Enddate invalid. Date greater than today</xsp:text>
bad=true;

}
}
</xsp:logic>

Is there a way I can check errors in the input other than the formvalidation method. I understand that I can write multiple action classes for each of the error I can represent but from there how can I come back to the same file with the error messages.

Jentro Technologies GmbH
John L. Webber, Software Development
Rosenheimer Str. 145e 81671 München
Tel. +49 89 189 169 80 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Fax +49 89 189 169 99 http://www.jentro.com