Just FYI, we streamed 20Mb XML log files to the browser and saw them render incrementally.

Personally I believe that the decision to stream or not to stream is made within the XSLT implementation,
and that the default Trax transformer in 2.1 does stream.

Here are some snippets from our sitemaps:

<map:transformer logger="sitemap.transformer.xslt" name="xslt" pool-grow="2" pool-max="32" pool-min="8" src="org.apache.cocoon.transformation.TraxTransformer">
<use-request-parameters>false</use-request-parameters>
<use-session-parameters>false</use-session-parameters>
<use-cookie-parameters>false</use-cookie-parameters>
<xslt-processor-role>xsltc</xslt-processor-role>
</map:transformer>

<map:match pattern="alarmlog.xhtml"> <map:generate type="customlog" label="data">
<map:parameter name="log-type" value="customlogtype" />
</map:generate>
<map:transform src="tohtml.xsl" />
<map:call resource="serialize-screen" />
</map:match>

J.Pietschmann wrote:

Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

Also, some XSLT constructs will force the XSLT processor to load the whole thing in memory instead of streaming it.

I was under the impression that both XSLTC and Saxon always load
the whole XML, and that Xalan'S streaming processing was disabled
in the default Cocoon setup and has to be explicitely enabled, so
it is likely to load everything into memory as well.

J.Pietschmann