Hi
AFAIK the serialization is implemented through Batik and Batik doesn't support SVG to GIF conversion here's a link from their mail archives (if you search them you will see many such discussions):
http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/mlists/batik-users/archives/msg04499.html

I use svg2png and for IE I use a hack based on this approach to get transparency:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/index.htm

HTH,
Steve

I am looking for a serializer which lets me use transparency. After I found
out that png seems to support transparency, I gave the svg2png serializer a
try. When using Firebird/Firefox everything looks perfect. In the
Internet-Explorer the transparent parts are white. As I don't seem to be
able to use transparency in the Internet-Explorer, I would have to use
another format which supports transparency.