Jorg Heymans dijo:
> Thank god you finally solved it ! :)

Hi:

Since I don't use MAC OS, I don't opened any related mail until now. :-(

Seems like your solution is no what you desired, because your are not
encoding the database in UTF-8.

In fact this is not a MAC OS problem. You can meet the same problem in any
operating system. You need to use the same coding for the database,
servlet container, cocoon and target browser. All the pieces are able to
interact using the same encoding.

We are using Linux Fedora Core 1 with PostgreSQL databases (since version
7.2) encoded using UTF-8. They work without any problem. The hack is:

If you are sending HTML 4.01 pages, then tomcat must be setted to interact
with the user browser using ISO-8859-1 (aka. LATIN-1 in PostgreSQL world),
but not UTF-8. I wonder why we need to do this but it works in this way:

If tomcat expect the client browser response encoded in UTF-8, but it
receives other encoding, you are in trouble. Looks like some browser have
fixed ISO-8859-1 as the default encoding and use it to encoded the
response.

Not sure about the above, but the same happens when you change the default
encoding in a HTTPD server to UTF-8 and the pages are encoded with
ISO-8859-1. This is really a very interesting problem.

Not feel bad, I also spended some days while understanding the root of the
problem, but at the end we got what in fact we want: work with UTF-8 in
PostgreSQL.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.