Hi,

jacques couzteau wrote:

hello,

with respect to the wealth of documentaion material i am seeking some advice on what books or online articles/docs/HowTo are essential to read in order to implement something like an online-mag that reads from a posgreSQL-db and static text and runs in tomcat.

Cocoon:

http://cocoon.apache.org/
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp

My goal is to get a quickstart at developing my own wepapps using XSLT and a posgreSQL and get the important stuff right from the beginning.

XSLT:

FAQ: http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/xslfaq.html
W3C: http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath & http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt

I like hands-on-examples and working apps that i can derive my own apps from and i want solutions quickly. I'm a programmer with scientific background and i know Perl, C/C++, Java. I'm quite fond of the Perl Cookbook. Is the XSLT-Cookbook good for me?

Don't know. I am not much of a book reader since most technical books I looked into as mostly superficial.

So far i had a glance of the online cocoon-documentation, the the oreilly-XML-Bookshelf, some articles at XML.com and the apache definitive guide. I'm willing to buy a book, but from a book that i buy i expect to use it a lot.

What about the following books:
*+XSLT Cookbook* by Sal Mangano
*+Cocoon 2 Programming (*Bill Brogden, Conrad D'Cruz, Mark Gaither*)
+Cocoon Developer's Hanbook (*by Lajos Moczar (Author), Jeremy Aston*)

I personally have this book. It is not bad but covers Cocoon version 2.0.4 and I use Cocoon 2.1.4.
I gives a nice view on the inner workings of Cocoon but keeps superficial when it comes to core Cocoon developement (building your own generators, transformers, ect.). It mainly handles scripting like things like XSP (not my interest).

+Cocoon: Building XML Applications* by Carsten Ziegeler (Author), Matthew Langham (Author)
+*Cocoon 2 Programming: Web Publishing with XML and Java*

The wealth of material is killing. I don't know where to start?

Thank you for suggestions.

jacques

I personally leard all I needed to know on this list and the archive with it + the websites i found. Plus the examples are a real help. Looking into the source code isn't a bad idea also...

--
Ivo Limmen