Thanks for all the info Horst; possibly someone who is
German/English speaker may be interested in this project
and look to help support English-speaking Cocoon users as
well; after all, Cocoon is designed to handle internationalisation!

Derek

>>> "Horst Rechner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2004/04/19 08:56:34 PM >>>

Hello Derek,

I am one of the programmers still active on the InvitoCMS project, and Robert
forwarded me your e-mail. Unfortunately there was a mixup since Robert did not want
his mail to end up on the cocoon user mailinglist. Anyhow, to answer your questions:

> Competition for Lenya?

We did not think so, when we started development. Since cocoon is a web dev framework,
we thought that the only thing the cocoon community could agree on would be a cms
framework, which never was our goal. Like we found out later (when reading more about
it) InvitoCMS seems like kind of a competition to it.

> For those us whose German
> is rusty to nonexistent, it would be useful to be able
> to view this site in English - for example, I assume

We especially wanted to encurage german developers to the use of cocoon (and our
content management system), so we decided pretty early in the development stages, that
the entire code comments and documentation should be in german. Accepting the fact
that this might be problematic to cocoon users whose German is "rusty to nonexistent".

Please do not interprete this as cutting out the english speakers, but more as trying
to give german developers a port who want to dive into cocoon based cms systems. Since
our site will disect cocoon 2.0 along with our cms (at least that is the plan) this
hopefully will have a positive side effect: adding more developers to the worldwide
cocoon community.

> this is an OS project, but under what license?

It is. At the moment: GPL @ Sourceforge. But we want to change the license to the
"Bremer License" which is a specialized version of the GPL tailored towards the german
legal system (and limiting the responsibility for the developers).

Regards, Horst

P.S. I am newly subscribed to the cocoon user mailinglist, and therefore cannot reply
to your mailinglist question with the appropriate backreference (otherwise the thread
in the archive would probably be broken, wouldn't it?). I would appreciate it, if you
could forward this mail as a reply to your question in my name. Thank you.