Con,

Thanks for the reply. In my sitemap, I do have:
  <map:serializer name="docbook" mime-type="text/xml;
charset=iso-8859-1"
src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer">
 <doctype-public>//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML
V4.2//EN</doctype-public>

<doctype-system>http://docbook.org/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd</doctype-system>
    <encoding>iso-8859-1</encoding>
  </map:serializer>

and
        <map:serialize type="docbook"/>
in the pipeline section. But the output has not
Doctype Declaration.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Sarah