Derek Hohls wrote:
Thanks - I assume that if one is NOT working
in a J2EE application, that the principles and
approaches will be the same ie. is there more
info that discusses how to move from an
"ordinary" set of Java objects to a full-blown J2EE
approach?

It's quite difficult to say what constitutes a "full-blown" J2EE app versus an "ordinary" Java app, to use your terms. J2EE is made up of many technologies, not all of which must be used together at any one time.

Cocoon typically runs inside a Servlet container, whose behavior is mandated by the J2EE spec, so when you're running "cocoon servlet", yes, you have a J2EE application. Even if you don't use EJB, JTA, JMS, etc.

But if you want to know what a "typical" J2EE app looks like, I think the patterns book that was mentioned in this thread (a possibly also this one [1]) might give you a bigger picture.

Ugo

[1]: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201787903/