I think I have finally cracked it ;o)

I needed to surround the cocoon replace part with '(' ')' and the other
area that gave me a problem was not escaping the '{' part of the regexp.
The final map:mount I came up with was as follows:-

    <map:match type="regexp" pattern="(.\{6}).+">
       <map:mount uri-prefix="" src="xmap/{1}.xmap" check-reload="no"/>
    </map:match>

Which was basically as Con suggested.

Thanks again Con for the point in the right direction. This has saved me
a very large headache when it comes to deploying the modules of my web
application ;o)

All I need to do now is standardise the request call's