Upayavira wrote:

Aw. You spoilsport ;-) I was hoping to tell him that!

;) ;) ;)... Before I was active with Cocoon, I had tons of httpd experience.

<snip/>

Anyway, note that I couldn't find this on Windows, but it is available on Unix.

IIRC, The httpd people don't recommend that you use it under Win32 in a production environment. That being said, I've gotten tons of use out of Apache under windows, albeit mostly as a development server. I'd choose Apache on Win32 over IIS on Win32 any day of the week.

As far as graceful restarts, I'm not sure if Apache 1.x has this feature, but "Apache.exe /?" reveals that you can give it the following option:

  -k restart        : tell running Apache to do a graceful restart

I would be interested to know if restarting the Apache service under windows does it this way instead of stopping it and then starting it... I guess the only way to know is to test it out myself, eh? :)

Cheers,

Tony