I knew it was a little premature. Here's the working XSP for those who would like to know:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsp:page language="java"
xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp";
xmlns:soap="http://apache.org/xsp/soap/3.0";>

<page title="Main">
<soap:call url="http://www.webservicex.net/stockquote.asmx"; method="http://www.webserviceX.NET/GetQuote";>
<s0:GetQuote xmlns:s0="http://www.webserviceX.NET/";>
<s0:symbol>tstf</s0:symbol>
</s0:GetQuote>
</soap:call>
</page>
</xsp:page>

It was the "method" attribute of the soap:call element I was missing (in addition to the namespacing).

thanks,
andy

Andrew Stone wrote:

Hello all,

I hesitate posting on this board so early in my research, but this has become quite annoying.

I am very new to Cocoon, and have just finished rewriting most of our intranet with this framework. However, I wish to use SOAP to get stock information. The problem most likely lies with too many unknowns for me at this time. Therefore I'm not sure whether it's simply incorrect/incomplete XSP syntax or my misunderstanding of the WSDL (link is at bottom of email).

Here is the very simple xsp:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsp:page language="java"
xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp";
xmlns:soap="http://apache.org/xsp/soap/3.0";>

 <page title="Main">
   <soap:call url="http://www.webservicex.net/stockquote.asmx";>
     <GetQuote>
       <symbol>tstf</symbol>
     </GetQuote>
   </soap:call>
 </page>
</xsp:page>

And the response I receive:

<soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"; xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"; xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";>
<soap:Body>
<soap:Fault>
<faultcode>soap:Client</faultcode>
<faultstring>Server did not recognize the value of HTTP Header SOAPAction: .</faultstring>
<detail></detail>
</soap:Fault>
</soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>

I definitely feel the issue is my lack of understanding of the WSDL ( http://www.webservicex.net/stockquote.asmx?WSDL ) because the SOAP test site (http://www.soapclient.com/soaptest.html) i'm using has no problem with execution.
If it my lack of understanding of the WSDL, then please disregard this (I know this isn't the appropriate forum).

I am having difficulty finding documentation on SOAPAction as it relates to Cocoon to see where my problem lies. Any help is much appreciated, until then I'll continue to read up on the WSDL specification from the W3C.

thank you,
andy

Note: I did see the example "Stock Ticker" that came with the cocoon distribution, but the "Terms of Use" was a little vague. Therefore we are trying a different site.

-- Andrew Stone [EMAIL PROTECTED] v) 678.385.2823 XML Architect/Developer Brightlane, a Teamstaff, Inc. Company