I have been thinking about using SVG for all my site's graphics. There
appear to be a number of practical difficulties:

1) Replacing animated GIFs. There does not appear to be a
   serializer that will convert SVGs to GIFs.
2) Detecting whether or not the user-agent can render SVGs natively.
   I have installed the adobe SVG plug-in in Mozilla. This works with
   the native SVG samples. But as the Accept header looks like this:

text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5

there appears to be no way to detect that native SVG support is
present.

So I can only think of adding an option on the home page for users to
select native SVG support, and then store it as a session variable.

Any comments welcome.
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire