Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to edit XML document fragments stored in an xml db (eXist). I have been reading through all relevant mails I could find both on this list and on the eXist-open list, but I am still confused. Here are the usecases:

Simple case:
- an editor should be able to browse through a document (type: catalog), select a node to update
- the selected node should be loaded into a form, edited, and stored back to the db
- it should be possible to add new nodes or delete existing ones

Advanced case:
- an editor will search a (set of) specified document(s)
- a list of hits (candidate nodes for editing)
- the documents are interlinked with XPointer expressions and XIncludes
- upon selecting a node, the node gets loaded into a form:
- the XPointer expressions should be validated
- when editing the form, new references could be created, but such that the editor only will have to enter plain text - the actual XPointer expression should be created automatically (and programmatically) when postprocessing/validating the form
- it should be possible to add new nodes or delete existing ones

In both cases the editing should be kept within a session, and it should be possible for more than one person to edit different fragments of the same document at the same time.

The problems:
1) I would like to do some XSLT processing on the submitted XML fragment after it has been validated by CForms, but before the update is submitted to the xmldb
2) I am completely new to CForms, and I have only been briefly experimenting with XUpdate - I am not able to find my way through all the different possibilities, and find a reasonable (and working) way of implementing the use-cases: CForms + XML binding? XUpdate? XQuery? Other? All or some in combination?
3) I am no Java programmer (although I should be able to copy-paste & reuse working codes from others if it is not too different from what I need)

I would be glad to hear from anyone who would be willing to share their experience.

Best,
Sjur