Hi,

As far as standards are concerned, I am speaking of
the forms implementation.  I remember at one point it
was being built around XForms before that was
scrapped.  Now however groups are working on adopting
that as a standard for webapps:
http://www.mozilla.org/press/mozilla-2004-08-10.html
On top of that, the forms implemenation, I think, is
the third such implementation in the Cocoon project
(the other were deprecated).  Now I also hear about
JSF as well as JSR-168 implementation.  I think in
order to feel comfortable adopting these
implementations, I need to believe they won't be
scrapped and that there is unifying model/philosophy
behind where/what Cocoon will become as it further
matures.  Perhaps many of these projects should be
spun out of Cocoon into subprojects rather than
calling them blocks....akin to the Lenya app.  **As it
stands the Cocoon project is becoming too big and
confusing as to what it really is.**  This is a burden
for neophytes.  From the site's from page:

"The Apache Cocoon Project is the open source
community project developing Apache Cocoon and
Cocoon-based application frameworks."

I can accept this, but where is the division that
creates consumable parts?

However, you are correct...standards is not what
matters most.  I accept "industry standards" b/c of
wide ranging 3rd party support (e.g. servlet 2.3 spec)
and/or clear advantages of one "platform" over
another.

Finally, running an app written mostly in xml makes me
shake in my boots.  I think Cocoon is great, but
sometimes too much emphasis seems to be put into XML.
I hope this helps rather than sounding like endless
ramblings.  If it is the latter, please accept my
apologies, but I fear that Cocoon is outgrowing the
garden.

HTH,
-Julian

=====