To add my 2 cents,

We have a memory issue as well, but I have just started looking into it. Going by our Java profiler, lots and lots of ints are being created and never cleaned up. We have tried using Xalan 2.6, with XSLTC. The XSL is faster, but the memory loss continues. Our pipes are just taking in and sending out XML, no FOP. They do use the SQLTransformer, which may be a problem. They also use 8+ small XSLTs in a single pipe, each tweaking the document a bit more.

As I said, I am just at the beginning of my investigation, so anything found out would be a big help.

BTW:
Running
Cocoon 2.1.5
JDK 1.4.1
In JBoss 3.2.3 (or 3.2.5 when using XSLTC)

Thank,
Scott