Eric Shannon wrote:
The projects is using Cocoon 2.1.5.1. This implementation is something I am currently "inheriting". I had used Cocoon 2.0.x some time ago, so their action based approach didn't strike me as too off the wall. It is quite the mess to manage though.

What is the common approach to solving this?

Have a look at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=107590406800001&r=1&w=2 as to why exactly it is not allowed to have dynamic type attributes.

I know i'm still not answering your question :).

IMO you will probably need to do some structural changes to your application if you want to reduce it. Maybe one way to go about it is to use flow, so you could do write like
<map:match pattern="*.do">
<map:call function="public_{1}"/>
</map:match>

whereby each flow function would take over the logic of your action and redirect back to the sitemap.

HTH Jorg