yes, that's it! - and that will probably work for us.  But I'm
curious, instead of this line:
pipelineUtil.processToSAX( "internal/catalog/getCatalog", null,
xmlSaxHandler.getContentHandler() );
which I'm assuming starts a new pipeline, can I just grab what the
"state" the pipeline was in before entering flow (the output from the
tranform)?
      <map:match pattern="somePattern*">
        <map:generate type="request"/>
        <map:transform src="someXsl.xsl" label="myLabel"/>
        <map:call function="{someFunction}"/>

Does this make sense?
Thanks,
Ben