Sean Dockery wrote:
Well, that is a little discouraging. I was hoping to have received a reply on this.

Is it just that no one has seen this problem (because they don't use SJAS), or that no one has a solution?

Guess not too many people around here use SJAS :(

<bigsnip/>

Questions:

a) What steps do I need to perform to get Cocoon 2.1.6 operational under Sun Java Application Server 8 Update 1.

Did you try setting the paranoid classloader in web.xml ? Replace o.a.c.s.CocoonServlet with o.a.c.s.ParanoidCocoonServlet, this has known to help people experiencing classloader issues. Alternatively, set the init-classloader param, i can't tell you what it does exactly but the comment above it looks promising ;)
<!--
This parameter tells cocoon to set the thread's context classloader to its own classloader. If you experience strange classloader issues,
try setting this parameter to "true" or using ParanoidCocoonServlet.
-->

b) Should I be concerned about the fact that the latest Cocoon "release" (2.1.6) makes use of a development releases of the JAXP jars? For example, Cocoon 2.1.6 uses a dev release of Xalan 2.6.1--when 2.6.0 is the sanctioned GA release.

naah, don't worry about it. Cocoon tries to stick to main releases as much as it can, but sometimes it's just not possible because of certain bugs.

c) Do I have to use a previous release of Cocoon?

nope. The contrary rather, although in your case it won't help anything.

d) Can I build Cocoon from the source, and bind it against the Sun Application Server JAXP jars?

that's beyond me, sorry.

If you do get it to work pls report back to the mailinglist or write an entry in the wiki.

Goodluck, Jorg