Actually the XMLSerializer (I'm using the serializers block) extends
the EncodingSerializer, which extends Object and implements Serializer.
I guess I'd need a TextSerializer based on the EncodingSerializer.

Ah, shoot... Was looking for that one too, but couldn't find it. I was looking in the build tree for .java files. :-P

and that one contains:

        if (encoding != null) {
            format.put(OutputKeys.ENCODING, encoding);
            buffer.append(";encoding=").append(encoding);
        }

But isn't this just used for the caching key?

Err, dunno..

I didn't find any code which attaches the encoding information
to the HTTP header.

Duh!

Cheers,
Geert