I am not using hsqldb nor andromda, but your approach sounds correct.
However I'm not sure hsqldb parameters declared in cocoon.xconf are
propagated by magic into your appCtx, if this is what you expect to
happen. What I usually do is expose my datasources as jndi resources
defined in my container (TC), and lookup them within the appCtx file.

I dont understand why you are suggesting your applicationContext.xml
does not contains your datasource bean definition, whereas it seem to
do (<bean id="dataSource" (...)). If your datasource definition is
really defined into applicationContext-dataSource.xml, obviously you
do not need to define it again in another file, just add this one into
web.xml <param-value> node.

Why don't you try it first ?

Besides, I know people are using Hibernate, Spring and Cocoon
together, but really, you should try the Spring support forum
(http://forum.springframework.org/), where all questions about
Hibernate and lazy loading exceptions (and when to use
OpenSessionInViewFilter pattern) are being - most of the time - taken
care of.
Cocoon's flow is only the tip of the iceberg.

Laurent